Pickled onion is one of the famous and popular Iranian torshies, which is served with all kinds of traditional Iranian dishes. Some of popularity of this delicious pickle is due to the fact that onions are found all over the world and in all seasons.
Pickled onions can be made whole or sliced. Iranians usually make pickled onions with the whole onions.
This pickle is one of the easiest pickles and it has only 3 steps to make. Peeling onions, boiling them in vinegar and putting them in a pickle jar!
This recipe is the most instant pickled onion recipe and it is easy to make. You can even make it with some onion, salt and vinegar and it does not require any special ingredients.
But if you use other ingredients that I mention in this recipe, Its perfect.
Here I write Persian onion pickle recipe which is very tasty and ready to use within 1 week. So stay with me.
How To Make Torshi Piaz?
For making this delicious pickled, follow this steps:
Step 0 – Preparation
First, peel the onions. Separate the top and bottom of them with a knife, do not completely separate the bottom of them; because they may open completely in the torshi and their shape will be spoiled.
Then wash them and put them in a colander to remove their water. Onions should be completely dry and not have any moisture.
If you use fresh garlic and pepper, wash and dry them in the same way.
If you are in a hurry, dry these ingredients with a clean towel. In any case, if they have moisture, your pickle will not last long and it will mold.
Wash the pickle jar well and leave it to dry completely or dry it with a towel too.
Step 1 – make a cut on the onions
Cut the top of the onions into a small slice. In this way, put a plus sign above each one so that the vinegar is better attract by them.
Step 2 – boiling the onions
Pour some vinegar in the pot and put it on the heat. When it boils, put the onions in it. The exact amount of vinegar depends on the amount of onions, enough to soak the onions.
Onions should be boiled for 5 minutes to soften a little. After they boil a little, add garlic and peppers to boil a little.
Add salt. Turn off the heat.
Step 3 – Pour the onions into the colander.
Pour the onions, garlic and peppers into the colander. Let the excess vinegar drain.
Step 4 – Pour the ingredients into the jar
Pour the onions into the jar. Put garlic and peppers and some mint.
Pour vinegar on them. (The vinegar you boiled the onions with) The vinegar should cover the onions completely so they don’t mold.
Cap the lid of the jar and place it in a dry and cool place, preferably dark and away from direct sunlight.
It is ready to use after 1 week.
After the pickle is ready, store it in the refrigerator and close the lid tightly after each use. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Important points about pickled onions
- If you boil the onions in vinegar on the heat, torshi will make to reach and be prepared faster. You can not boil them.
- Wash the pickle jar and onions and let them drain completely. If they are still moist, dry them with a clean towel. If the jar or ingredients have moisture, the pickle will mold.
- Never put an fatty spoon into the pickle jar; Because it gets moldy quickly.
Which onions is suitable for making pickled onions?
On the size of onions, the most important thing is to use small onions.
On the color of onions, I must say that red onion is more beautiful and if it is used with red vinegar, it makes the color of the pickle red. However, if you use white onions, you will still have a great pickle.
What should I do to make pickled onions with pretty color?
As I said, usage of red onion and red vinegar, the color of the pickle will be red. But if you use white onions and want your pickle to have a red color, use the following ingredients:
- One beetroot
- A few leaves of purple cabbage
When you put the onions in the jar, peel one beetroot and cut it into small pieces. Then put it in the jar layer by layer with the onions.
Finely chop two leaves of purple cabbage and put them on top of the onions.
After a few days, you will see that the beetroot and cabbage give a beautiful red color to the pickled onions.
Which foods are pickled onions served with?
Pickled onions can be served with most Iranian dishes, especially Abgousht, Ghormeh Sabzi, and Adas Polo.
Vinegar has a sharp smell and hurt the throat, what should I do?
- If the vinegar has a sharp smell, it may irritate your throat. You can use a mixture of vinegar and water. When the vinegar is boiling, add half a glass of water. (The exact amount depends on you)
- You can also add 1 spoon of sugar to boiling vinegar.
Torshi Piaz (Persian Pickled Onions)
- ½ kg Small onion (Red or White)
- 3 cup Vinegar (Red or White)
- 1 tbsp Dry mint
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Water as needed
- 3 cloves Garlic optional
- 1 Fresh hot pepper optional
- Peel the onions and wash them. put them in a colander to dry completely. Wash and dry fresh garlic and peppers.Wash the pickle jar well and leave it to dry completely. You can dry these ingredients with a clean towel.
- Cut the top of the onions into a small slice. In this way, put a plus sign above each one.
- Pour some vinegar in the pot and put it on the heat. When it boils, put the onions in it for 5 minutes. Add salt. Add garlic and peppers to boil a little.
- Turn off the heat. Pour the onions, garlic and peppers into the colander.
- Pour the onions into the jar. Put garlic and peppers and some mint.
- Pour vinegar on them.
- Cap the lid of the jar and place it in a dry and cool place. It is ready to use after 1 week.
- After the pickle is ready, store it in the refrigerator.
Another model of torshi piaz
If you don’t mind the pickled red onion, use savory tarragon, mint, green pepper. If you use a lot of herbs in the pickle, you will have pickled onions of this color. The taste of these two pickles is different and each has its own taste. The choice is depends on your taste.
In this pickle, (the bottom part which is the root of the onion) is not remove. Instead, the cuts are deeper. This makes the vinegar and herbs completely absorbed by the onions and the pickle provided faster.
In this pickle, the onions are not boiled and it is 4 months old.
Pickled onion, like pickled garlic, is one of the most popular and widely used pickles in Iranian cuisine. You can make it with whole onions or sliced onions.
Don’t worry that your mouth will smell of onions after eating this pickle. Because the onions boiled and the pickled is rest for a long time and the onions are well-ripened. But if they are unripe and raw, they may be malodor.
It is easy to make and the ingredients are found in every home. You can get up right now and make a delicious and quick pickled onion for yourself.