Mango pickle is called “Torshi Anbeh” in Persian. Torshi Anbeh is one of the delicious and popular Iranian pickles, whose origin belongs to the southern cities of Iran.
Southern Iranian food is usually spicy, mango pickle should be a bit more spicy than usual. But if the family of people with heart disease is going to use this recipe, you can use less amount of pepper.
Pickled mango is prepared in slices or liteh. Liteh is one type of pickles in Iran which have tiny small bits that are combine togather very well.
Mango is a delicious and nutritious fruit that has a soft texture. Its pickle also has a fatty and very soft texture and if you love spicy flavors, you will definitely enjoy it.
You can make mango pickle in two ways: cut the mangoes into pieces or puree them, which is known as liteh anbeh. Join me to check the recipe of this delicious pickle.
Persian Mango pickle is served next to which foods?
This pickle can be served with most dishes, especially Iranian pilafs like Adas Polo, and it will have a very good combination.
It is also excellent with stews made with beef or lamb.
Which mango should we use to make pickle?
In Iran, green and unripe mangoes are usually used for mango pickles. If the mango is too small, it’s kernel may not be firm yet.
You can use it completely and there is no need to separate the kernel.
You can also use yellow mango, but it should not be too ripe and soft. If the yellow mango is not ripe (half-ripe), it can be used to make pickle.
How to make Torshi Anbeh?
For making this pickle, follow this steps:
Step 1 – Prepare the pickled spice
Saute coriander seeds, fennel seeds, red pepper, black pepper in a pan for about 2 minutes. The purpose is to remove the raw taste of coriander seeds. When you smell them, turn off the heat and let them cool. Then grind them.
When you heat the spices, their aroma is released.
Black seeds do not need to be sauted.
Step 2 – Chop the mangoes
Peel the mangoes, then cut them in half and remove the core. Remove the flesh completely from the core.
Finely chop the mangoes. You can cut into thin slices and strips. Remove all the fleshy parts from the core, even the small pieces.
Step 3 – Add salt and turmeric to the mangoes and leave it for about 1 day
Next, put the mangoes in a bowl and add some salt and turmeric to it.
Now mix the ingredients so that the spices are absorbed by the mango slices. Then let them stay at room temperature for 1 day until they soften and watery.
Step 4 – Add garlic, spices, pepper sauce and olive oil to the mangos
Peel the garlic cloves and mash them.
Combine crushed garlic, olive oil, pepper sauce or tomato paste, roasted spices and 2 spoons of salt. Pour it over the mangoes and stir. Leave it like this for 3 to 4 hours to get flavor.
Pour the mango juice on the ingredients.
Step 5 – Pour the mango pickle ingredients into the jar
Choose a jar for pickles. Wash it and let it dry completely. You can dry it with a clean towel. The pickle jar must be free of moisture and any fat so that the pickle does not mold.
Pour the mangoes into the jar.
Step 6 – Add vinegar.
Finally, pour the vinegar over the ingredients so that it completely covers the mangoes. Dip a spoon into the mangoes and shake a little to remove the excess air. If necessary, pour vinegar again.
Close the jar lid tightly so that air does not enter to it. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 week until the pickle is ready to serve.
How to make quick Torshi Anbeh?
You can combine mango with vinegar and other spices and heat for 5 minutes or less. Let it soften a little and the vinegar evaporates a little. After the mixture has cooled, pour it into a jar.
The amount of vinegar depends on your preference; But don’t pour too much. If you use yellow mangoes, less cooking time is enough.
You can use this pickle immediately. It does not need to stay for several days like other pickles. There is also no need to leave mangos in the room for 1 day.
How to make Liteh Anbeh Pickle?
As you know, lite is one type of pickle whose ingredients are completely mixed together. To make mango pickle, first cut the mangoes into thin layers or grate them coarsely.
Then cook with vinegar for about 10 minutes. When it is completely soft and mashed, turn off the heat. You can use this mango pickle immediately.
How to make Persian Mango Pickled
- 1 kg Green unripe mango
- 3 tbsp Crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp Pepper sauce, GLORIA Hot Sauce or tomato paste
- 1 cup Vinegar
- Salt as need
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- ½ cup Olive oil optional
- Saute coriander seeds, fennel seeds, red pepper, black pepper in a pan for about 2 minutes.
- Peel the mangoes, then cut them in half and remove the core.
- Next, put the mangoes in a bowl and add some salt and turmeric to it.
- Combine crushed garlic, olive oil, pepper sauce or tomato paste, roasted spices and 2 spoons of salt. Pour it over the mangoes and stir. Leave it like this for 3 to 4 hours to get flavor.
- Choose a jar for pickles. Wash it and let it dry completely. Pour the mangoes into the jar.
- Finally, pour the vinegar over the ingredients so that it completely covers the mangoes.
- lose the jar lid tightly so that air does not enter to it. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 week until the pickle is ready to serve.
- You can use fresh hot pepper or pepper powder (red or black). Choose whichever one you have available.
- To make this pickle, you can use mango with or without skin.
- In the recipe, I said that mango pickle is ready to use after 1 week. If it stays longer, it will taste better and the ingredients will taste better.
- In general, the longer the pickle is settled, will the better taste.
- For a better taste of pickle, if you like, you can grate two tomatoes in it. (instead of tomato paste)
Mango pickle is one of the famous and delicious Iranian pickles. It is easy to make and you can make it with any spices and seasonings you have available.
Mangoes are so delicious that even with the addition of some salt and pepper that is found in every home, it will still make a great pickle.