This is an invigorating pancake made up of a mixture of banana, eggs, milk and cinnamon. You can also use honey as a sweetener to have healthier pancakes; honey gives it a nice golden color as well.
Banana together with cinnamon tastes perfect and this association has a wonderful fragrance. Cinnamon feels so faint in this light banana pancake; yet if you don’t like cinnamon flavor, vanilla can be a nice substitute.
To have a soft fluffy pancake with a light texture, use eggs and a slight amount of baking powder. It is eggs and baking powder which make this dessert batter puff. Mixing the eggs as to let them foam, will make the pancake batter spongy and light.
light banana pancake
- 2 Bananas medium
- 2 Eggs large or medium
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla or cinnamon powder
- a pinch Salt
- Oil for frying
- 15 minutes before you get down to it, take the ingredients out of the fridge so they can get to the same temperature at around room temperature.
- Mash the bananas with a fork or the back of a spoon. You can grate it instead. Add the cinnamon and stir.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder together and sift them once. Don't sift the salt if it's coarse.
- In abowl, stir the eggs, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until it foams and the volume gets doubled. Stir for 3-4 minutes to make it bulky, fluffy and creamy. the secret of the soft puffy look of this pancake is the mixing duration of eggs and sugar, so be careful at this stage. If you don't mix the eggs enough, say for 1-2 minutes, even if it swells its puffiness won't be stable.
- In another bowl, add the milk to the bananas.
- Next, using a sieve add the mixture of dry ingredients to the milk and bananas and whisk them. There's no need to an electric mixer and don't overwork the mixture.As soon as the flour is mixed with the other ingredients, stop stirring. It doesn't matter if a small portion of the flour isn't mixed with the other ingredients or gets pelleted because they are to get thoroughly mixed in the next step.
- Add 1/3 of the mixed eggs to the mixture of milk, banana, and flour and whisk gently. Be careful not to stir the ingredients too much as the egg puff will fade.In the next step add the remaining 2/3 of the eggs and whisk gently again. and the batter is ready.
- In order that the baking powder gets active, rest the batter for around 5 minutes. You'll see bubbles forming on the surface.
- Pour some oil in a thick frying pan. It's better to choose a non-stick pan like Teflon. When the oil is well heated, add some of the batter into the pan. Maybe ¼ of it.Put the remaining batter aside for the other pancakes.This way you'll have four thick pancakes, however you could pour thinner layers of batter to have more pancakes.
- Having poured the batter into the pan, lower the heat and cook the first side. When you see bubbles coming up to the surface and the edges turn brown (after 3-4 minutes) the first side is fried well.If immediately pressed by a spoon the batter will break since it's not firm enough. Slowly, the pancake tightens and takes hold.
- After the first side is done, turn the pancake over so that the other side gets browned as well. Do this with caution for the pancake may break.The second side is also cooked after 2-3 minutes and at this stage you can put the lid on the pan so that the inside of the pancakes gets cooked better.When both sides are golden and brown nicely, it's ready.
- light fluffy pancakes are ready.
Most important tips to have fluffy soft banana pancakes:
- Mix the eggs well until they foam.
- Once the batter is ready, don’t overmix the ingredients.
- Do not stack the fried pancakes.
This pancake has a fluffy and spongy texture, just like a spongy cake. The aroma of banana and cinnamon is so great and you can’t enough to eat this. so get up and try it.
If you like to don’t use the eggs, I have a post: eggless banana pancake recipe. The basic ingredients of this pancake are banana, milk, butter (or oil), and sugar (or honey). The use of baking powder in this recipe is optional and I advise baking this.
I also put a Nescafe cake recipe in one of the blog posts, which is fantastic. It has a spongy texture and its Nescafe aroma is really pleasant and lovely.
Its main ingredients are: flour, milk, Nescafe, and corn starch, like other cakes.