The Sheer Yakh Dessert, translating to ‘Ice Cream’ or ‘frozen milk’ in English, is a handmade dessert originating from Afghanistan.
The ingredients are similar to Indian Kulfi ice cream, but the preparation process is completely different.
If you don’t have access to this delightful dessert and want to make it yourself, you’re in the right place.
This post provides a comprehensive recipe for making Sheeryakh and some essential tips for success.
- 1 cup Full cream milk
- ½ cup Condensed milk
- ¼ cup Dry milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- a pinch Saffron
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Chopped pistachio for garnish
- ½ tsp Rose water
- Start by pouring the full cream milk, condensed milk, and dry milk into a large pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- Then add cardamom to the mixture, allowing them to reach near-boiling on heat.
- Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch in a separate bowl with a little water to create a smooth paste. Add this to the boiling milk, which makes it thicken and gives the ice cream its unique texture.
- Then remove it from the heat once the mixture's texture thickens.
- Add a pinch of saffron and vanilla extract to the mixture and stir them.
- Pour the mixture into your desired container and freeze it for at least 8 hours or until it's completely frozen.
- Once frozen, pour rose water over your ice cream and scoop the ice cream into bowls or onto sticks.
- Finally, sprinkle chopped pistachios (or whatever else you like) over the Sheer Yakhbefore serving.
Golden Tips for Perfect Sheer Yakh
- Here are the tips you can apply while making the Sheer Yakh to ensure its taste is similar to the one you can taste in Afghanistan.
- Patience is the key: Although making Sheer Yakh is simple, it does require some patience. The mixture should be stirred continuously while it's boiling to prevent it from burning and to ensure a smooth texture.
- Quality ingredients: without a doubt, the quality of ingredients for making any food always matters, and Sheer Yakh is not an exception. Using high-quality ingredients for a tasty and delicious Sheer Yakh is recommended. Fresh milk, pure vanilla extract, and high-quality saffron will make a significant difference in the flavor of your Sheer Yakh.
Sheer Yakh means frozen milk in the Dari language, belonging to Afghanistan. It is more than a simple ice cream and has a unique flavor, which makes it special.
We hope reading this article helps you to make a delicious Sheer lakh and host your guest with this special dessert.
Have you eaten Sheer Yakh dessert?
What are your favorite nuts for garnishing the Sheer Yakh dessert, and why?
Please share with us in the comment section.