As you know, shallot is one of the most fragrant and tasty plants in the world, which has an excellent texture and the lovely hardness that goes under the teeth.
Its pungent taste has made it to have many lovers and it is used as a flavoring in all kinds of pickles. You can also make a pickled from it alone, Shallot Torshi (Persian pickled shallots) are very delicious next to foods.
Shallot in Persian is called “Moosir” or “Musir”, and Torshi Moosir is popular in Iran.
It is very easy to make Iranian shallot pickle. It is delicious at the same time and you will definitely fall in love with it.
Torshi Makhloot and Torshi Haft Bijar are among the most famous Iranian mixed pickles. Cabbage, carrot, cucumber, eggplant are among the main ingredients for making these pickles. Their taste is unique, Let’s go for try these recipes.
Can I make pickles with which shallots?
You can make this pickle with fresh or dry shallots and it doesn’t matter.
Fresh shallots have a sharper and fresher flavor. Dried shallots are also an excellent and flawless option for making Torshi moosir, however their fragrance is a little past.
Both of them are good options for making pickles.
I have explained how to make both of them in this post. So stay with me.
Benefits of shallots
- Shallots, like garlic, has antimicrobial properties and can deal with the microbes of the digestive system and destroy them.
- Vitamins A, C, as well as calcium, phosphorus and magnesium in shallots can help bone health.
- Shallot helps in easy digestion of foods and is rich in fiber. In addition to feeling full, it can facilitate food digestion.
How to make Torshi Musir?
You can make delicious moosir torshi with following this steps:
Step 1 – Preparation
Wash the fresh shallots. peel off Cut into thin slices. Let them dry completely.
If you use dry shallots, leave them in boiling water for 1 hour until they soften. Then pour them into the colander to dry.
Peel and wash the garlic. Let it dry completely.
Wash the fresh green peppers and let them dry completely.
Peel the ginger and cut it into small pieces.
You can spread all the ingredients on a clean cloth to dry completely. Dryness of pickled ingredients is very important to avoid the pickled mold.
Step 2 – Place the shallots in the jar
Wash the pickled jar and let it dry. If there is moisture, dry it with a towel.
Put some shallots in the jar. Put garlic, pepper, ginger, salt and turmeric on them. Add another layer of shallots until the ingredients are finished.
Step 3 – Pour vinegar
Pour vinegar on the ingredients. Until it completely covers the shallots. The jar must be chock-full with vinegar to prevent air from entering and the pickle will not mold.
Then close the lid of the jar and make sure it is tight.
- Pickled ingredients should not have even a drop of water after washing; Otherwise, they will mold. (Boiled water is not a problem.)
- Fresh shallots do not need to be boiled, do not put dry shallots in boiling water for more than 1 hour because they become very soft. Its hardness should be felt under the teeth.
- The taste of shallot is a bit fast and the sharpness of vinegar is also next to it, some people may not like it. If you want to reduce the sharpness of the vinegar to get a more mellow pickle, add a cup of boiled water to the vinegar.
- 300 grams Shallot (fresh or dry)
- 2 heads Garlic
- 5 Fresh green peppers
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Black pepper seeds or black pepper powder
- Fresh ginger
- Salt enough
- Vinegar (white or red)
- Wash the fresh shallots. peel off Cut into thin slices. Let them dry completely.
- If you use dry shallots, leave them in boiling water for 1 hour until they soften. Then pour them into the colander to dry.
- Peel and wash the garlic. Let it dry completely.
- Wash the fresh green peppers and let them dry completely.
- Peel the ginger and cut it into small pieces.
- Wash the pickled jar and let it dry.
- Pour vinegar on the ingredients. Until it completely covers the shallots.
- Now put the shallots in the kitchen for 2 weeks and after this time it is ready to use.
pickled shallot is ready after how many days?
Now put the shallots in the kitchen for 2 weeks and after this time it is ready to use. After you open the lid of the jar, keep it in the refrigerator so that it does not get moldy. Never let a fatty spoon in pickles.
Fresh shallot has a harsh taste, what should I do?
If you used fresh shallots, and you think they were too sharp, do the following steps:
- Cut the fresh shallots into slices.
- Put them in cold water and leave them for 2 to 3 days.
- Over the few days, change the water several times to reduce its harsh taste.
- Put a little of them under your teeth. Whenever you feel that they are fine, put them in a colander until they are completely dry. Then use for pickling.
Do we always have to boil the pickles ingredients?
In general, it is true that to make some pickles, such as pickled onions, we boil the ingredients so that they are ready faster. But if you don’t boil it and attend a little, it’s great.
As the Iranians say, a pickle should come with its own heart. “Torshi bayad ba dele khodesh var biyad.”
Really, the taste of pickles that are not boiled and we wait for them to ripen is different and more attractive.
Iranian Musir torshi is one of the most delicious and lovely pickles. Shallot is so tasty and fragrant that it is used in most other pickles such as mixed pickles.
It is not like other pickles and does not need to be boiled. By the way, it should be a little hard so that its hardness can be felt under the teeth.
If you are one of the pickled shallot lovers, talk to me about its attractive taste in the comments. It gives me pleasure to see your comments on this page.
You can see other Persian Torshi recipes like Torshi Sir, Piaz, Ghare GHoroot and etc.