Eggplant Torshi Liteh – Persian Lite Bademjan
Torshi Liteh is a torshi in which all the ingredients are completely minced or even ground with a food processor. In this way, the flavor of all the ingredients seeps into each other and the result will be absolutely delicious.
Iranians have a variety of torshi Liteh types, one of them being eggplant torshi Liteh. As expected, its main ingredient is eggplant. The most important point in making this torshi is that the eggplants should be completely minced and all the ingredients should be mixed well.
Iranians have different types of vegetable pickles, I suggest you check their recipes out.
How are the eggplants for torshi Liteh prepared?
As mentioned before, the ingredients should be minced and mixed well. To thoroughly mince the eggplants, you can do either of these:
- Barbecue the eggplants. Barbecue them as a whole. Peel the burnt skins. In this method, torshi Liteh will get a smoky taste which is very delicious.
- Boil the eggplants in vinegar for 5 minutes until they soften. Keeping or peeling the skin is your choice.
Eggplants are a fixed ingredient in Iranian torshi makhloot and torshi Hafteh Bijar, and one important thing about them is that they should be either boiled or barbecued. Otherwise, the dry eggplants will not absorb the vinegar.
- 1 kg Eggplants
- 5 cloves Garlic large
- 2 Hot fresh peppers
- 4 Carrots
- ½ tbsp Dried herbs such as mint, parsley, tarragon, and savory optional - 1/2 spoonful each
- White vinegar
- 1 tbsp Coriander seed
- 1 tbsp Angelica seed
- ½ tbsp Tumeric
- ½ tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Black seed
- 1 tbsp salt
- Sauté the Persian hogweed and coriander seeds in a pan for 1 minute until they lose their raw aroma and taste. (This step is optional)
- Either barbecue the eggplants or cut them into rondelles and boil them in vinegar for 1 minute.
- Cut some fresh carrots and peppers and add them to the vinegar. Let them boil for one minute. You can grate carrots.
- Add the crushed garlic.
- Add salt, torshi spice, Persian hogweed, coriander seeds, black seeds, and dry herbs.
- Turn the heat off. When the ingredients cool down, sieve them and separate the vinegar. Keep the vinegar for later.
- Using a hand blender or a food processor, crush the ingredients. If you’ve already barbecued the eggplants, puree them separately using a blender and then mix them with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour everything into a jar and pour vinegar on them. Store the jar in a cool, dark place. After 1 week, the ingredients should have fully absorbed the taste of vinegar and your Torshi Liteh is ready to serve!
Eggplant torshi Liteh is a popular torshi among Iranians. Since the ingredients are cut into extremely small pieces, they fully get the flavor of herbs and spices used in the pickle. Other than eggplant Liteh, I’ve introduced two other ways of making eggplant pickles in another post. I suggest you check them out too!